NLA Lobbying Plan
- To increase library funding
- To create goodwill with decision makers
- To ensure an "ear" for a problem when necessary
- Define Goals and Objectives --
Identify desired outcomes.
- Identify barriers, strengths, and relationships to cultivate
- Coordinate activities among agencies/organizations
- Develop a communications system
Define key message. Summarize key points in clear, concise terms. Identify key people and committee. Deliver your message to them repeatedly.
- Build coalitions
Identify groups of potential supporters. Implement outreach programs.
- Develop a timetable with tasks and assignments
Educate advocates and decision makers. Support "Library Day in the Legislature." Contact your legislator and arrange to meet. Socialize with key decision makers. Track relevant legislation and activities. Participate in hearings.
- Document and evaluate results
Localize data to show impact.
Write to your legislators to thank them for their time and support.