Nevada Library Association Handbook
Board of Trustees
Public Library and Trustee Organization (PLATO)
The Nevada Association of Library Trustees was formed in 1959, and was accepted as a section of NLA under the acting chairmanship of Joan Griffith. The group was very active in the early 1960's, holding four Governor's Conferences on trustees under the sponsorship of Governor Grant Sawyer. The Public Library Association of Nevada was formed in 1962. The two groups worked together in the early 1960's to produce Nevada Guidelines to the use of Interim Standards for Small Public Libraries. In 1971, NALT dissolved itself and joined PLAN. Their new bylaws were approved in 1972. A councilor was added to its governing board, who also served as an ex-officio member of the NLA board of trustees from 1973 to 1977. The group published Standards for Nevada Public Libraries that same year. The group's bylaws were again revised in 1978 to bring them into conformity with the NLA bylaws revised the year previously.
- 1959-1960, Ruthe Gallagher
- 1960-1961, Grace Brown
- 1961-1962, Joan Griffith
- 1962-1963, Ralph Cramer
- 1963-1965, W. Allan Thorpe
- 1965-1967, Barney Cannon
- 1967-1969, Grace Brown
- 1969-1970, vacant
- 1970-1971, Lois Williams
- 1962-1963, Doris Witt
- 1963-1965, Lydia Malcolm
- 1965-1967, Rosa King
- 1967-1969, Dora Witt
- 1969-1970, vacant
- 1970-1971, Virginia Rule
PUBLIC LIBRARY ASSOCIATION OF NEVADA / NEVADA ASSOCIATION OF LIBRARY TRUSTEES
- 1971-1973, Yvonne Saddler, Douglas County Public Library
- 1974, Sheri Allen, Humboldt County Library
- 1975, Robert Carroll, Trustee, Washoe County Library
- 1976, Carroll Gardner, Boulder City Library; Haile Gunn, Elko County Library
- 1977, Pauline Hayes, Elko County Library
- 1978, Jeanne Bundy, Ormsby Public Library
- 1979, Dale Forman, Trustee, Boulder City Library
- 1980, Darrell Batson, Clark County Library District
- 1981, Ann Brady, Nevada State Library
- 1982, Frank Virostek, Washoe County Library
- 1983, Andrea Thurman, Churchill Public Library
- 1984, Jack Gardner, Clark County Library District
- 1985-1986, Bonnie Buckley, Nevada State Library and Archives
- 1987, Mary Ann Glasser, Elko County
- 1988, Gary Avent, Elko County Library
- 1989, Danny Lee, Las Vegas-Clark County Library District
- 1990, Bob Gray, White Pine County Library
- 1991, Kevin Higgins, Trustee, Washoe County Library
- 1992, Helene Campton, Trustee, Doris Shirky Library, Pahrump
- 1993, David Cook, Trustee, Elko County Library
- 1994, Duncan McCoy, Boulder City Library
- 1995, Carolyn Rawles-Heiser, Douglas County Library
- 1996-1997, Nancy Cummings, Washoe County Library
- 1998, Keith Lockard, Washoe County Library Trustee
- 1999, Sara Jones, Elko County Library
- 2000, Carol Madsen, Elko-Lander-Eureka Library System
- 2001, Jeanne Bleecker, Trustee, Smoky Valley Library District
- 2002-2003, Vacant
- 2004-2005, Tom Fay, Henderson Libraries
- 2006-2008, Kathy Pennell, North Las Vegas Library District
- 2009, vacant
- 2010-2013, Stephen Platt, Henderson Libraries
- 2014, Nikki Winslow, Las Vegas-Clark County Library District
- 2015, Angela Thornton, Henderson Libraries
- 2016, Nikki Winslow, Las Vegas-Clark County Library District
- 2017, vacant
- 2018, Carla Land, Las Vegas-Clark County Library District
RULES OF PROCEDURE
Accepted & Adopted by NLA Executive Board, Oct. 13, 1978
ARTICLE I. NAME AND PURPOSE.
This organization shall be known as PLAN/NALT, and its purpose shall be the promotion and fostering of the development of public libraries in Nevada.
ARTICLE II. MEMBERSHIP.
Membership in PLAN/NALT shall be open to any public librarian, public library staff member, library trustee or any other member of the Nevada Library Association who shall elect membership in PLAN/NALT at the time he pays his annual dues for membership in the Nevada Library Association.
ARTICLE III. OFFICERS AND ELECTIONS.
Section 1. The officers of this organization shall be a chairperson, a chairperson-elect, and secretary. The Chairmanship shall be alternated, if possible, between a trustee and a public librarian.
Section 2. A secretary shall be appointed by the chairperson and shall serve as an officer of the section.
Section 3. Officers shall be elected at the same time and for the same terms of office as officers of the Nevada Library Association.
Section 4. The nominating committee shall prepare a slate of candidates and present them on a ballot to be sent to all members at least thirty days before the annual meeting. The ballot shall include a place for write-in votes. The chairperson of the nominating committee and the secretary of PLAN/NALT shall be responsible for the counting of the ballots.
ARTICLE IV. MEETINGS.
Section 1. The annual meeting of this section shall be held at the same time and place as the Nevada Library Association.
Section 2. Other meetings of this section shall be held at the call of the chairperson, or at the request of three or more members of the section. Notice of such meeting shall be mailed to each member of the section at least fourteen days before the meeting.
Section 3. The number of persons present at any duly called meeting shall constitute a quorum.
ARTICLE V. ORGANIZATION AND FINANCES.
Section 1. The membership year shall coincide with the membership year of the Nevada Library Association.
Section 2. Each year the section shall submit a proposed budget, with justifications, to the Executive Board of the Nevada Library Association. Upon approval of the budget, the Nevada Library Association shall allocate the approved amount for activities of PLAN/NALT.
Section 3. Funds allocated to PLAN/NALT shall not be disbursed by the Treasurer of the Nevada Library Association except by the permission of the chairperson of PLAN/NALT.
Section 4. Funds which come to this section through gifts shall be deposited with the Treasurer of the Nevada Library Association in a special fund available only to this section.
Section 5. If there is a conflict in any of the bylaws, the Nevada Library Association bylaws shall take precedence.
ARTICLE VI. COMMITTEES.
Section 1. The chairperson shall appoint such standing and special committees as are necessary to carry on the work of this section.
Section 2. Standing and special committees may be Membership, Program, Publicity, Standards, and Nominating. The chairperson of the section shall appoint the person to head each committee. Each committee chairperson shall select his own committee members.
Section 3. Each committee may be required to present a report to the annual meeting and at the call of the chairperson of the section.
ARTICLE VII. AMENDMENTS.
Section 1. Amendments to these bylaws shall be made by a majority vote of members present at the annual meeting. Notice and text of such proposed amendments shall be mailed to each member at least fourteen days before the meeting.
Section 2. In order that the bylaws of this section shall not conflict with the Constitution and Bylaws of the Nevada Library Association, amendments shall be submitted to the Executive Board of the Nevada Library Association for ratification.