Nevada Library Association Handbook
Board of Trustees
Northwest District Carson City and Churchill, Douglas, Lyon, Mineral, Pershing, Storey and Washoe Counties
A "Northwestern Region" of NLA existed at least as early as 1952. Activity and interest died down periodically, and attempts to revive the district occurred in 1968 and 1972. In 1973, the district gained representation on the NLA board of trustees with the transition to the new bylaws.
- 1951-1952, Fred Stephen/Mary Boardman
- 1974, Constance C. Collins, Nevada State Library
- 1975, Vacant
- 1976, Mildred Pierce
- 1977, Vacant
- 1978, Lena Griffin
- 1979, Karen Blackwell, Carlin Combined Schools Library, Northside School Library
- 1981, Ester Quilici, Trustee, Elko County Library
- 1981, Bevette Hitchman, Northeastern Nevada Historical Museum
- 1982, Mercedes Lostra, Elko County Library
- 1983, Gary Avent, Elko County Library
- 1984, Barbara Evans, Humboldt County Library
Representative, Northeast District
Chairperson and District Representative
- 1973-1974, Pauline Hayes, Elko County Library
- 1975-1976, Tom Rodrigues, Elko County Library
- 1977-1978, Carol Madsen, Elko County Library
- 1979-1980, Jeanette Baker, Elko County Library, Carlin Combined Schools Library
- 1981-1982, Carol Madsen, Elko County Library
- 1983, Juanita Karr, Northern Nevada Community College
- 1984, Laura Oki, Elko County Library
- 1985, Pat Bourn, White Pine County Library
- 1986, Karen Albrethsen, Northside Elementary, Elko
- 1987, Pat Bourn, White Pine County Library
- 1988, Karen Albrethsen, Spring Creek Elementary
- 1989, Bob Gray, White Pine County Library
- 1990, Jeff Marcinik, Humboldt County Library
- 1991, Gary Avent, Elko County Library
- 1992-1994, Sara Jones, Elko County Library
- 1995, Lynn Chambliss, Battle Mountain Library
- 1996, Robbie Nickel, Sage Elementary, Elko
- 1997, Laura Oki, Elko County Library
- 1998, Rhonda Strickland, Elko County Library
- 1999, Anita Guymon, Wells Combined School
- 2000, Mary Gibson, Elko County Library
- 2001, Jenny Meyer, Elko County Library
- 2003, Bob Gray, White Pine County School District
- 2006, Patrick Dunn, Elko County Library
- 2008-2009, Lori Romero, White Pine County Library
- 2010, Sara Johnson, Elko County Public Library
- 2011-2013, Carol Lloyd, Churchill County Library
- 2014-present, Brenda Owens, Washoe County Library System
NORTHWEST DISTRICT RULES OF PROCEDURE
ARTICLE I. NAME.
Northwest District of the Nevada Library Association.
ARTICLE II. PURPOSE.
The purpose of the Northwest District of the Nevada Library Association shall be to promote the highest quality library service and librarianship, particularly in the Northwest District.
ARTICLE III. MEMBERSHIP.
All paid members of the Nevada Library Association living/or employed in the area encompassed by the Northwest District (Churchill, Douglas, Lyon, Mineral, Pershing, Storey, and Washoe Counties and Carson City) are eligible as members of the Northwest District.
ARTICLE IV. AFFILIATION.
The NORTHWEST DISTRICT may affiliate with national and regional organizations providing:
- A majority of the DISTRICT's members vote to approve such affiliation.
- The BOARD OF TRUSTEES of NLA approve such affiliation.
- Disaffiliation will follow procedures 1 and 2 of this section.
ARTICLE V. OFFICERS AND GOVERNMENT.
Section 1. The officers who shall comprise the executive board of the Northwest District shall consist of an elected Chairperson, and a Secretary-Treasurer appointed by the Chairperson.
Section 2. The District shall elect one member to serve on the Nevada Library Association Nominating Committee.
Section 3. The duties of the Chairperson shall be:
- Preside at all meetings.
- Appoint such committees as are necessary to carry on the functions of the District.
- Prepare an annual report to the district membership
by January 1, of each year. Said report will be published by the Nevada
Library Association in the spring of the same year.
Section 4. The duties of the chairperson elect shall be:
- To submit a budget request and
program justification to the NLA Finance Committee by December 31st of
each year preceding the year for which the budget is requested.
Section 5. The Chairperson shall attend all meetings of the Board of Trustees of the Nevada Library Association and shall act as liaison between the Northwest District of the Nevada Library Association and the Board of Trustees of the Nevada Library Association.
In the event that the Chairperson is unable to attend the required meeting or meetings the chairperson of the Northwest District will appoint a substitute subject to the Nevada Library Association Board's approval.
Section 6. The duties of the Secretary-Treasurer shall be:
- Record the minutes of the meetings.
- Send a one copy of the minutes to the Executive Secretary of the Nevada Library Association.
- Send notices of information and activities to the membership.
- Maintain financial records using the generally accepted accounting procedure.
- Pay all bills incurred by the Northwest District.
a. Expenditures must be approved by the chairperson prior to encumbrance.
b. Reimbursement claims must be submitted to the Secretary-treasurer of the Northwest District.
c. Expenditures budgeted or
approved by the chairperson at the beginning of the calendar year may be
met by the Secretary-treasurer as they occur.
- Elections will take place at a designated meeting fulfilling the requirement of the above.
- Nominations shall be made from the floor.
- Election shall be by a voice vote unless a secret ballot is requested by any member.
- Election to any office shall be by majority vote of those members casting ballots at the meeting.
Section 8. Terms of Office:
- District Chairperson
a. Shall serve one year commencing January 1st and ending December 31st.
- Nevada Library Association Nominating Committee Representative.
a. Shall serve one year commencing January 1st and ending December 31st.
- Officers, other elected
members, and committee chairpersons, shall hold only the one office to
which they were elected or appointed.
- Committee chairperson shall serve a term of one year and may be reappointed.
- Unless their previous term was
served in the filling of a vacancy no officers or other elected members
of the District shall succeed themselves in the same office. This
restriction may be removed by a 2/3 vote of the members of the District
attending the election meeting.
Section 9. In the event of a vacancy in elected offices, an election to fill said office for the duration of the term shall be held at the next meeting of the membership. Removal from office shall follow the procedures established in the NLA By-laws. Within thirty days of the election, the chairperson shall notify the Executive Secretary of the Nevada Library Association of the results of the election.
ARTICLE VI. MEETINGS.
Section 1. Meetings shall be held at least four times and places as are designated at the previous meeting, or at the call of the Chairperson.
Section 2. All meetings must be open to members of Nevada Library Association and to the public.
Section 3. The number of meetings may be changed by the vote of the membership at any meeting.
ARTICLE VII. ACTION.
The District may make recommendations through the Chairperson to the Board of Trustees of the Nevada Library Association providing a majority of the members present are in favor of the recommendation or a minority report may also be submitted.
Section 1. These rules of procedure may be amended by a two-third vote the regular members present at the meeting at which voting takes place. Notice of the proposed amendments other than a yearly review, shall have been sent by the Secretary-treasurer to the membership at least 14 days prior to the meeting which voting takes place.
Section 2. The Chairperson shall designate a member to annually review these procedures and report to the membership.
Section 3. Approved changes in rules of procedure shall be sent to the Board of Trustees of Nevada Library Association for approval.