Nevada Library Association Handbook
Articles of Incorporation
The Nevada Library Association operated under a Constitution from 1946 until 1963, when the association was created by statute. The 1963 statute specified that "The Nevada Library Association shall be a nonprofit corporation created to promote library se rvice and librarianship in Nevada." See former NRS 82.650-82.690. In 1991, the NLA statutes were repealed as part of a state-wide corporation law reform movement. The repeal legislation required NLA to reorganize as a private, non-profit corporation be fore Oct. 1, 1993, which the association did at the Elko conference. The new Articles of Incorporation are on file with the Nevada State Department.
ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION OF NEVADA LIBRARY ASSOCIATION, INC.
a non-profit corporation
KNOW ALL PERSONS BY THESE PRESENTS:
That I the undersigned, for the purpose of continuing the corporate existence of the Nevada Library Association, Inc., due to the repeal of its originating legislation contained in Sections 82.650 to 82.690 of the Nevada Revised Statutes and in conformanc e with the provisions of Sections 82.056 to 82.066 of the Nevada Revised Statutes inclusive, restate these Articles of Incorporation pursuant to Chapter 82 of the Nevada Revised Statutes and hereby certify:
- Name of the Corporation. The name of this non-profit corporation is the Nevada Library Association, Inc.
- Principal Place of Business; Resident Agent. The location of the current principal office of this corporation with the State of Nevada is 900 N Roop St, Carson City, NV 89701 and the Resident Agent in charge is Kathy Rush, 900 N Roop St, Carson City, NV 89701. [Previous principal of this corporation with the State of Nevada was 100 Stewart Street, Carson City, Nevada 89710 and the Resident Agent in charge was Joan G. Kerschner, 100 Stewart Street , Carson City, Nevada 89710.]
- Non-Profit Status. The Nevada Library Association, Inc., is a non-profit corporation.
- Purposes and Powers. The purposes for which the corporation is formed and the nature of the objects proposed to be transacted and carried out by it are to conduct such business as is lawful.
- Board of Trustees. The governing body of the Nevada Library Association shall be known as the Board of Trustees, which shall consist of not less than three (3) nor more than fifteen (15) members of the association elected or appointed to office as se t forth in the Bylaws thereof. The Trustees shall hold office until their successors are elected or appointed and vacancies in such Board of Trustees shall be filled as provided in the Bylaws.
- Powers of the Board of Trustees. The corporate powers of the Nevada Library Association shall be vested in the Board of Trustees.
- Members of the Board of Trustees. At the time of the adoption of these restated articles of Incorporation the Board of Trustees consisted of the following persons:
- Wendy Starkweather President
- Gary Avent President-Elect
- Carol Madsen Executive Secretary
- Carolyn Rawles-Heiser Treasurer
- Leona Wright Immediate Past-President
- Tom Mirkovich Chair, NCRL
- Pat Klos Chair, NSCLS
- David Cook Chair, PLAN/NALT
- Sara Jones Chair, NED
- Joyce C. Lee Chair, NWD
- Rob Morss Chair, SD
- Incorporator. The name and address of the incorporator signing these Articles of Incorporation is as follows:
Name Kevin G. Higgins
Address 1325 Airmotive Way, Suite 340, Reno, Nevada 89502
- Perpetual Existence. This corporation shall have perpetual existence.
- Dissolution. Whenever the Nevada
Library Association shall disincorporate or dissolve of its own act,
the proceeds of all property, real or personal, shall, after payment of
any debts, charges or demands against the Association, be granted to the
Ame rican Library Association which shall use the proceeds for the
improvement of library services in the State of Nevada.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this 27th day of SEPTEMBER, 1993.
/signed/ Kevin G. Higgins